Thursday, August 4, 2011

Corridors
















 Corridors

Gliding down a long dark corridor
Many doors on either side
But one large one at the end of the corridor
It seems so very far away

I am moving slow but progressing rapidly
Occasional movements in the corners of my eyes
Make me think that I am not alone
Out one door and in another

I keep drifting closer to the door
I think I know what is on the other side
I am afraid and elated at the same time
It could be Heaven or it could be Hell

It could be just another corridor
Do I smell the scent of Roses?
Or the smell of an uncertain and unproductive life?
Are my friends really my friends?

What will become of all the history and images
That I have collected in my 62 odd years?
Who will remember?
Who will care?

Everybody says they will but they won't
Everybody says that they do but they don't
Out of sight, out of mind
Absence does not make the heart grow fonder

It just puts space and indifference between you
And the life you hung on to
Clinging to people, places and things as if they were you

The door grows closer now
Ever closer
Do I see a faint light coming from the edges of the door?
Or are my eyes just fooling me into thinking it's there?

I reach for the door knob...
My hand goes through it
My body moves through it
I am on the other side

I am floating in space
Unencumbered
I suddenly realize that  the door is illusory
When you travel through it what you experience
Is whatever you expect to experience

Now I can go any where, do anything, be anyone
Whatever my mind conceives becomes reality
And I know that sooner or later there will be another corridor

Will I remember this one?
Have I been here possibly many times before?

It can not be avoided
We all have a corridor and a door
And choices to be made

What will you choose?

© 2011 Philip G. DeLoach

No comments: